Custom Search

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Angels & Demons the Movie Due Out in May 2009


Ok, I’m feeling really excited about this.

I’ve heard something about this some months ago (maybe even over a year ago)… that they were going to make a movie based on this book by Dan Brown. But, somehow, I’ve forgotten all about it.

That is until I visited the comingsoon.net website a while ago and found the movie listed there with a release date of May 15, 2009.

In my opinion, Angels & Demons is WAY much better than the Da Vinci Code, as far as the books are concerned.

This reminds me of the first time I heard of Dan Brown…

My then girlfriend (wife now) and I were at PowerBooks in Greenbelt in Makati at the time, and this book, “The Da Vinci Code” which was displayed on the “New Releases” stand, caught my eye.

I had a very strong feeling that I would enjoy the book the moment I laid my eyes on it, so much so that I spent the entire time we were at PowerBooks thinking and deciding whether or not to buy it. It had a price tag of around 850 pesos, I think.

After “thinking out loud” a couple of times, my girlfriend told me “just wait for the paper back”.

Before we left the place, I headed back to the stand where I saw the book, grabbed a copy of it, flipped it over, and looked at Dan Brown’s picture that was printed on the back cover.

Then, in an attempt to discourage myself from buying the book, I thought to myself that he didn’t look like someone who can “convince” me. So, I put the book back from where I got it and left.

Days (or was it weeks) later, the book (or mentions of it) was everywhere… on the papers, on the web, on the news… it was causing a stir which I’ve never heard of since Harry Potter came under the spotlight! How I regretted not buying the first edition of the book. I’m actually still regretting it up to this day.

Anyway, I eventually bought a copy of the paperback version along with a copy of Angels and Demons which was said to be the prequel to Da Vinci Code.

And since it is the prequel, I started with Angels & Demons.

It was so good that I finished reading it in record time. I won’t go into specifics regarding the time frame, but I am quite a slow reader and basing on my standards, I finished the book really fast. Just take my word for it.

And (I NEED to mention this), John Langdon’s works (the ambigrams shown in the book) were so amazing and mind boggling that I became an instant fan!

Naturally, after finishing Angels and Demons, I proceeded directly to reading Da Vinci Code. And, as I’ve already mentioned, I didn’t find it to be as good as A&D which caused me to “stall” a bit in the later chapters. I sort of “forced” myself to read it to the last page just for the sake of finishing the book.

Likewise, I was kind of disappointed with the movie (to which the MTRCB gave an “X” rating which, in turn, resulted to its being banned from all SM cinemas). It didn’t come close to how I imagined it with the book. I like Tom Hanks, but it just didn’t work for me (though, I’ve watched the movie about three times already). But, then again, most book-to-movie adoptions are like that, with the exception of The Godfather parts 1 and 2, in my opinion.

Anyway, I sure hope that Angels and Demons the movie will be better than the Da Vinci Code and/or be as good as the book.

I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online