Custom Search

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Buy Any Fern And... D'oh!


I first saw a sign, like the one pictured above, about a month or so ago somewhere near the Elliptical Road.

Dumbfounded, I struggled to make sense out of the sign(s)… “U-turn Slot” translates to “Likuan U” in Filipino… check… “Likuan U” sounds like “Lee Kuan Yew”… check…

But still, it didn’t make any sense. I wondered, “is it really necessary to translate ‘U-turn Slot’ into Filipino?”

I ended up thinking that some wisecrack may have put it up as a sort of joke.

I saw the sign again at the U-turn slot near Trinoma last Sunday (pictured above) and, to silence my questioning mind, I turned to Google for insights.

So far, everything I’ve read points to the MMDA (itself) as the “culprit”, and most are saying that the (ridiculous) signs are part of Mr. Bayani Fernando’s campaign/puro paganda, er... propaganda for the 2010 Presidential Elections.

So, what does “Lee Kuan Yew” have to do with Mr. Fernando? Well, according to what I’ve read, the man idolizes Lee Kuan Yew, the former Prime Minister of Singapore who is often credited with being the architect of Singapore’s present prosperity.

If all these are true... *Place mile-long sigh here*

Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online