Custom Search

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

An Interesting Addition To My Book Collection



I saw this gem at a garage sale in Sanchez Mira when we went there during the Lenten break. I fell in love with it the moment I set my eyes on it… well, it’s really more like love at first sniff than love at first sight… how I LOVE the smell of moth balls and old paper!





I have already lost count how many times I’ve scanned the book from cover to cover in search for the book’s year of publication, but I can find none. The only indication/approximation I can get of the book’s age is from the dedication written on it which is dated November 16, 1917. Taking that date as the basis for the book’s age, that makes this book the second oldest book I own (the oldest one being “The Hornet’s Nest” by E. P. Roe).



Although it is considerably worn, particularly the cover, the inside pages are still in very good condition... and the illustrations, oh… so lovely! SO Beautiful! They’re done by J. Finnemore, G. H. Thompson, and Archibald Webb, by the way.



The book measures 8 inches by 10 inches and has 328 pages (including the front matters).

Anyway, if anyone out there has any knowledge about the true age of this book (as well as the person whose name appears on the hand-written dedication), please come forward.

Thank you very much.

Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online